After screaming at the shader compiler for two weeks I feel like I had a good enough understanding of DirectX12. As a bonus I also learned the development environment for the XBox One. With the ability to put pixels on the screen I took some time to think of my next move. The obvious thing would be to add more code and turn it into a useful DirectX12 graphics framework. I decided it would be a waste of time as I should focus on the techdemo and not the side effects of it.
So my next step will now be on the open world part. Setup the rules and limits for the open world and work my way back to the things I need for the rendering and the multicore system. That way I can focus on things that only add to the final end result. So this week i will do design and some more Maya to create the mockup art needed. When I need a break I will spend it cleaning up the code.
But first I will play some games. Did all the coding this week listening to the soundtrack of all the The Elder Scrolls games. Time for a replay of Skyrim.
At first i missed setting the number of parameters in the root signature.
Then i had the projection matrix set in the wrong way, Everything was compressed down to a single plane.
Now i only need to add a open world around the car and i’m done.
So after one week of nights with DirectX 12 I’m somewhat confused. The basic concept of DirectX 12 is easy to understand. The problem is that many guides and tutorials refer to DirectX 11 that i never used :|. So there will be one more week with DirectX 12. The first step in it will be to get the PIX tools to work so i can get some real debug help.
I have also spent some time with maya this week to get good enough to create the mock-up art. No need for animated things so i only do the most basic box, extrude and boolean operations to create the meshes i need.
Next week i hope there will be some images to show :).
From now on i will write weekly posts on how my Techdemo it is progressing. To make it more easy to write about i have given the project a public name, it will now be called Sussex. It already have a better project name but a google search of it give to much of the game away :(. The name is a reference to HMS Sussex, a ship of the line of the English Royal Navy that was lost to a storm in 1694. No point of fooling myself with the chances of a techdemo surviving into a real game :).
I did write up the plan for Sussex this weekend and there are four areas i need to focus on. They are DirectX 12, Multicore, Rendering and Open World. This week i will focus on DirectX 12. The game itself could work with DirectX 11 but i need multicore anyway and 12 sounds more cool then 11. See how it all turns out next Sunday and with a little luck i have more updates for GameDev Pensieve on DirectX 12.
I use mercurial for my personal projects but i like the contribution box on github. So I made a small python script to generate a contribution box for mercurial projects. It takes the paths to the local projects and writes down a html file. Now I use it as part of my start page to give me a hint to keep coding each day. The code for it can be found in the dailyhaxor repository on github.
Played three great games from swedish developers. Max Max, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and SOMA =). Also played Halo 4 😐 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II :(. Check out my reviews.
Playing some coop silent hunter 5 and almost managed to crash into each other on the open sea. Not the most able seaman.
We did sink the carrier at least.
I have shifted over my techdemo from Playstation 3 to the Xbox One Playstation 3 is still coooler when it comes to multicore madness but The One is a bit more next gen. Makes sense to develop on a thing people will use in the future :). The downside is that i can pretty much throw away my knowledge about the rendering on the Playstation 3 and the latest DirectX version i used was 9 so this will be like starting from zero again :|.
Anyway i have a next gen style game idea and time to see if it can work on the Xbox one.
Got the basic car working. Bullet’s documentation is a bit . Next up is a evil merge to default and then time for some more constraints and to make a ragdoll. I also added a Physics API section for Bullet to my notebook so i can write some notes for it as i move forward.
Started playing TESO. Looks nice a few levels into it.
I have a big sword and nothing more